What is an Org Chart?
An organizational chart is a graphic representation of the hierarchy inside an organization. It displays the organizational roles, relative ranks, reporting lines, and positions. Traditional organizational charts have a tree-like shape with a root node at the top of the hierarchy and leaves below it, which stand for reporting positions. organizational chart PowerPoint template can also be used to showcase various organizational structures, such as matrixed organizations or more dispersed systems as graphs.
What Is An organization chart template for PowerPoint?
An organization chart template for PowerPoint allows the users to showcase their organization or project hierarchy to their audience. It is quite complex to make these org charts on your own in the presentations. Therefore, it is recommended to use templates to showcase the complex structure in your presentations. Any customizable PowerPoint org chart contains placeholders for images and text so that users can add their roles' names, pictures of actual people, or other relevant graphics to the framework.
Why you should use an organizational chart PowerPoint template?
- To showcase the flow of roles and responsibilities
- To visualize a business organization's functions.
- To break down the hierarchy of an organization
- To figure out resource planning and workforce planning
What are the Different Types Of PowerPoint Org Chart Templates?
There are various types of org charts used in business presentations,
- Line Organizational Structure Chart: The line organization chart simplifies and clarifies responsibility, accountability, and authority. In a line organization, authority follows a chain of command.
- Matrix Org Chart: This type of organization chart showcases the interconnection of departments and teams.
- Flat Team Structure Org Chart: Flat org structures reduce unnecessary layers of managers and improve coordination and productivity. It also helps quicker decision-making.
- Hierarchy Chart: It showcases the chain of command in which the workflow goes from the top to down.
What are the Key Elements Of An Org Chart?
- Departmentalization - Departments are often a group of workers with the same overall functions. They are usually broken down into broad categories such as functional, teams, customer needs, location, etc.
- Chain of Command - It shows who reports to who in the company's human resources structure. It helps to eliminate the inefficiencies and streamlines business operations and communications for a more efficient and productive business.
- Span of Control - The span of control is the organizational element that considers the number of employees controlled by any manager. There is no limit to the number of people one person can oversee and supervise. It depends on many factors like workforce size, departments, business goals, etc.
- Centralization and Decentralization - Centralization or decentralization decides who makes the decisions in the company. In the centralized structure, c level managers at the top of the chart take all the decisions. In a decentralized structure, all levels of management are involved while making a decision.
- Work Specialization - Work specialization helps in assigning specific tasks/roles to employees. It is based on an employee's work experience, education, and skills.
- Formalization of Elements - Formalization elements determine management’s culture, procedures, rules, and guidelines.